Friday, April 17, 2009

I Hear The Sound Of A Heavenly Choir

As you know, last year I bought a motorcycle. I've kept it in the garage. I was advised to wait until the streets are swept before taking it out so I don't slip on the sand. This week my street was swept so I tried to start the motorcycle. No dice. It didn't start. I've got plenty of juice from the battery but it sounds like it's not getting gas. I ask my friend Ed about it. Ed helped me find the motorcycle, buy the motorcycle, and bring it home. Ed says, "Remember last fall I told you to turn the gas off? Did you turn it back on?" D'Oh! I go home and turn the gas on and it still won't start. I talk to Ed again. Ed says, "Did you push in the throttle?" D'Oh! So this afternoon I get back on the motorcycle, make sure the gas is open, push up on the throttle, turn the key, and push the start button. Suddenly the clouds part, the sun shines down, and over the sound of the running motorcycle I hear a heavenly choir sing. IT STARTED! Now that it is running, I really should take it out for a short spin. I have stuff to do so I'll just drive around the neighborhood. I put on my jacket and the dorky/safe orange vest I bought this winter. I snap on my helmet and drive around the neighborhood. I wave at my neighbors walking their dog. Are my safety skills intact or have I become rusty? I roll up the driveway and take the first corner slow. I shift into second, into third, and into fourth. I slow down for the next turn and downshift. I remember to turn the signal off. I drive around the neighborhood twice and think I should go just a little further. I'll stick to the slow roads only and then come back home. I really shouldn't go too far until I know the bike is in good shape. I drive 30 mph for a few miles. Well, I might as well drive to Elk River as long as I am this far. Geez, there is a lot of traffic out here at 4:30. Maybe I'll go just a little way along the Mississippi where it is quieter. See, I do this every time I get on the road for a little ride. The ride goes a little further and a little further until I've gone much farther than I ever intended. I turned around in Big Lake and came home on the other side of the river through Monticello, Otsego, Dayton and Anoka. I am hooked again. I started out with 6,100 miles. We'll see how many more miles are put on before I store it again this fall.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...