Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dreams From My Father

Two thumbs up for the presidential autobiography. This book was written before Barack became a politician, back when he was president of the Harvard Law Review. The book explains Barack's internationalism and his struggle to be who he has become. He spends most of the book describing his father (whom he met only once) from the points of view of those who knew him. His father had issues, lots and lots of issues. The description of his father varies widely from person to person in his life but all agree, he had issues. At the end of the book, the author travels to Kenya. This was a good part for me because, having been in Kenya a little over a year ago, I could relate to his descriptions of Nairobi, the surrounding countryside, and the Mara Reserve. Hearing his Kenyan relatives describe his father influenced him significantly. Some men need to understand their father before they can be their own man. My only complaint is that I would have liked to hear more about Michelle but the book is dreams from my father, not dreams about my wife.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...