Sunday, April 19, 2009

Julie and Romeo


"Julie and Romeo" by Jeanne Ray is the latest book read by my book club. Not as many people liked it as I thought would like it. Some people, who I thought would not like it, did end up liking it. One fellow, never shy to share his feelings of dislike, called it a "romance" with the same feeling a wine connoisseur would say "Boone's Farm Apple Wine." I agree this book was "literature lite." I read it on a snowy Sunday afternoon and was perfectly satisfied to spend a couple hours of my time reading it. I can't always be reading serious literature. My mind needs a break from the heavy stuff once in awhile. And I wouldn't classify this as a romance novel. There is a character named Plummy that is very intriguing. She is Romeo's youngest daughter, the heroine of the romance, and the solver of family problems that go back 4 generations. The relationship between Julie and her daughter, Nora, is way too complicated to be in a typical romance novel. So if you are interested in a story about an older couple with complicated families, this would be a good book for you.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...