Sunday, April 19, 2009

Introducing Dwight


This is Dwight. He's a rooster. You can see his comb starting to come in. This picture is a week old and he has grown into a gawky teenager now. His feathers are coming in on the sides and back leaving his head and breast looking oddly downy and awkward. He's having an attitude problem today. He rushes at the girls making them move out of his way or get bumped. He's the cause of lots of squawks in the coop. I don't know what has got into him. Has chicken testosterone set in? I set up a small run in the garage so the chickens have 3 feet of garage floor to explore if they get hot in the coop. Dwight is the one who will come the farthest out of the coop door while I'm looking. He'll come down two rungs of the runway. I'm not sure what to make of Dwight's aggressive behavior. Is it helpful? Maybe the chickens are getting stronger from his forced exercise on them. He had better watch himself. I'm raising these chickens for eggs and that makes him expendable.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...