Thursday, April 30, 2009

Now I Want To Plant Purple Salvia

I was telling a friend of mine about my owl encounter yesterday. She was dutifully impressed. She told me of a bird encounter of her own. She was on her deck in Shoreview. She was busy deadheading her purple salvia in her container garden. She saw a hummingbird around so she sat on a chair and held a stalk of "past their prime" purple salvia flowers in her hand. Low and behold, a hummingbird approached her and as she held the flower stalk a foot from her face, gracefully danced around the stalk and methodically took nectar from each and every blossom. My friend said her husband was in the house but did not come to the deck door to see this miracle. No one witnessed it but her. She had no camera to record the moment. She felt chosen for that moment and I knew exactly what she meant. My friend said she tried to reenact that moment several more times that summer with no success. What an awesome story! Now I want to plant purple salvia.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...