Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Days Are Getting Shorter

Tonight was the first time this fall that the chickens went to bed before I got home.  Even though it wasn't even 6 o'clock, the hens were huddled up in the egg laying section of the coop.  They didn't even care that I brought them a long quarter slice of cucumber for an evening treat.  I guess I'll have to bring my treats in the morning from now on. Normally they're all over that cucumber with such ferocity that I have to break it in half and throw each section to separate ends of the run to avoid a chicken fight.  Tonight they didn't even bother to get up and look at it.   The chickens don't rely on the clock to know when to get up and when to go to bed and when to expect their cucumber treats.  They don't rely on time schedules or work expectations.  Chickens rely on nature to tell them what to do.  Is that what retirement will be like for me?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...