Friday, October 11, 2013

I Was Wrong

I got a card in the mail today that made me realize I was wrong.  I was wrong about the wound clinic.  When I was first told to go there, I didn't want to go.  I pictured a waiting room with bloody bandages and Civil War type patients.  My crazy imagination led to unnecessary worry. As it turns out the wound clinic was a wonderful experience.  My wound clinic therapist even sent me a card wishing me a speedy healing.  She was kind and gentle.  She taught me how to pack my wound and keep it clean.  She taught me how to look for infection and when to alert the doctors.  She gave me a 15 minute detailed lesson on how to wrap my leg with an ace wrap which relieved my leg pain by half.  It is true she picked at my wound and pulled off scabs but she did it gently and without much discomfort.  She was a great listener.  She taught me what supplies to buy and why one brand was better than another.  She showed me how to protect my skin integrity.  She taught me how the skin heals itself and how a healthy wound bed differs from one that is not so healthy.  She told me what to expect.  Most of all she was sympathetic. She gave me confidence.  I visited her three times and walked away feeling better all three times.  So if anyone ever asks my opinion of a wound clinic, I'll tell them I had a good experience there.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...