Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Altruism

Every time I hear about another school shooting, I think about altruism.  I think about the lack of altruism.  Is there even such a thing as altruism in the human species?  If it's a case of "I'll be good to you and you be good to me" is that altruism or simply reciprocity?  Some of the bees in a hive will stand guard and actually loose their lives to defend the hive.  What is that if not altruism? What about our military members?  If they give up their very lives for our country, is that altruism?  I believe that example comes closer to what I think of as altruism.  How about volunteering?  Is that altruism?  I volunteer to be Smokey the Bear at the fair but, honestly, that is not altruism.  I'm in it for the glory.  Yes I give up some time and I sweat a lot but I dig the role of nature's rock star.  I would actually pay to be Smokey the Bear so that is not altruism.  My volunteer work as an observer of owls and frogs is also not altruism.  I like how the job forces me to learn and to get out in nature and to have some adventure.  Plus I get rewarded as a Master naturalist so that is not altruism.  If altruism is rare and hard to pin down, why do people decide to take a gun and shoot innocent people?  Are they in it for the glory?  So their name can be in Wikipedia?  Are people inherently good?  Or evil?  Are we all victims or winners of our brain chemistry?  Do our thoughts and actions matter at all or is our moral character predestined by our genetic makeup and upbringing?  I do not know the answers to my questions but I do know this.  I am a lucky person.  I do not suffer as much as other people suffer.  I know people with anxiety or mental illness and I see how it tears up their lives and cuts into their enjoyment of life.  I know people with addiction issues and I see how it tears up their lives and cuts into their enjoyment of life.  I see people with disabilities and disease and terrible circumstances and I see how it tears up their lives and cuts into their enjoyment of life.  I am lucky and I know I am lucky and that alone is a good place to be.   

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...