Friday, November 13, 2015

Certified!



For the past five weeks I've been taking an Autims certification course with a couple other people.  We travel to Saint Paul on Friday mornings and spend time learning from professionals and from people on the Autism spectrum.  We students (or neurotypicals as we are sometimes called) ask questions, participate in discussions and give presentations.  Some of us work with children, some with adults, some provide vocational services and some of us provide residential services.  One of our instructors is on the spectrum and he was very helpful.  I have worked with people who have Autism for more than 30 years but now I can say I have a greater appreciation of what is like to have the condition.  And sometimes I have a lot in common with people on the spectrum.  Preference for routine?  Who has been eating the same breakfast for 15 months at a stretch?  Me.  Difficulty transitioning from one activity to the next?  I have a very hard time transitioning from bed in the morning to work but no trouble at all transitioning from work to home.  Overwhelmed by sensory stimulation?  I swear, at the end of some days I can't stand to hear anything and must travel home in silence.  I also can't hardly wait to get out of my work clothes into shorts or pajama pants as soon as I walk in the door.  I have to say this has been the best training I have attended in many years.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...