Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Martian

Andy Weir's book, The Martian, is one of the best books I have ever read.  I was hooked from the first sentence.  I admit there were a lot of F bombs in the story but that doesn't bother me if they fit the story.  This adventure/survival story had some science in it.  Some people in my book club thought the science was too much.  They skimmed those parts but liked the story.  I am not a scientist. Also, I'm not an engineer.  But I didn't think the science was too much.  I thought it was just about right.  I really enjoyed the creative problem solving and ingenuity involved in surviving being left for dead alone on the planet Mars.  Myself, I think I would have died.  Or maybe I would have gotten into the medical supplies and committed suicide.  There is a reason NASA hasn't asked me to go into space.  I don't think I have what it takes to be an astronaut.  This particular astronaut was an engineer and a botanist.  The botanist part saved his life because he would have starved to death without his farming talents.  This was a great book.  I could hardly put it down.  Now I want to see the movie.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...