Sunday, November 8, 2015

Lightbulb Was Slow To Come On

My motorcycle would not start for two weeks now.  I tried everything.  Not everything.  Almost everything.  I changed the oil.  I added Stabil to the gas.  I charged the battery because the battery wore down from all my attempts to get it started.  The motorcycle worked fine the last time I had it out.  I couldn't figure it out.  A friend and I looked it over.  Nothing we tried worked.  I waited for a warmer day and tried again.  Nothing.  I thought it was a problem with the gas.  The battery seemed fine and the starter seemed fine.  All electrical systems were working.  I thought about sweet talking a friend of mine into hauling my bike on his trailer to a repair shop. I thought about which repair shop to take it. I was thinking about it last night as I went to sleep and an idea came to me.  Why not try to move the gas switch to the reserve tank just in case there is something blocking the gas from flowing out of the tank?  So today I switched the fuel switch to reserve and gave it a try. I was pretty sure this wasn't going to work. The bike started right up and ran just fine.  OMG!  The light bulb slowly came on.  I was out of gas!  What are the chances of running out of gas parked in the garage?  Pretty good I guess.  Every other time I ran out of gas I was on the road; never in the garage. I took the bike out and filled up the tank at the gas station.  I rode around the local neighborhoods to get circulate the stabil and the new oil around inside the machine. Instead of focusing on how slow I was to solve this problem, I am going to focus on the fact that I did figure it out before I had the bike towed in for repair.  Could have been worse.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...