Monday, August 21, 2017

Eclipsed!

I did not take this picture of the eclipse. The credit belongs to NASA. Personally the eclipses don't really interest me except I like to know they are coming.  If I were outside and the sun eclipsed I might suspect the end of the world is at hand. Offspring #2 invited me to travel to see the eclipse. The original destination was South Carolina which was handy because a family member lives there. That plan fell through. The second destination was Missouri and involved camping and driving all night to be back for work on Tuesday. I declined. I am too feeble to keep up with this child of mine. Due to clouds and rain the eclipse was not seen here or in Missouri. I do remember a time when I did see a solar eclipse. Our whole elementary school class went outside with boxes of some sort. We were warned not to look at the sun directly or our eye balls would be burned out. I was a compliant student and, frankly, I was terrified of burning my eye balls. I looked in the box as the shadow passed across the sun. I stood in the playground with my white short sleeved blouse with the Peter Pan collar, my brown and red plaid jumper, my white anklets and brown oxfords. That was my uniform at the time and I still think it's a cute combination.  I should see if I can get another brown plaid jumper at Target or on Amazon. My hair was in a "pixie." The eclipse was not a "path of totality" for me but I was glad to go outside for a change. I still remember the moment so I know it had some impact on the younger version of myself. We had very little experiential learning available at my school in those days and to this day I prefer to learn my experience.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...