Saturday, August 5, 2017

People of The Book

I have a few questions. Do you read much?  Do you read books? If you read books, in what form do you read them? Do you read a book with paper pages and a hard cover like a Luddite? Paperback, Nook, Kindle, audio book on CD, audio file, book from the Cloud library or on your phone like Offspring #1?  Do you buy your book or borrow your book? I use most of these methods to read books because they all have advantages. I'm glad I read People of The Book by Geraldine Brooks on audio CD because the woman who read to me was an excellent reader and I loved her Australian accent. This book is the best book of all I have read this year. I was truly transported all over the place including Sydney, Australia, the campus of Harvard in Massachusetts, the narrow seats of a flight over the Atlantic Ocean, Spain, Italy, and Sarajevo. Hannah Heath is a expert in rare books and the book in this story is a Haggadah. This famed Haggadah is a rare treasure.  As Hannah passionately and carefully examines it like a forensic scientist she finds a tiny insect wing, a grain of salt, a stain and a white hair. As she investigates each tiny clue we hear the back story of that wing, the salt, the stain and the hair.  Each clue takes us farther and farther back in time. We learn about each person until we finally get to the year 1480. That was the year the illustrations were drawn. I was so fascinated by this book I grabbed another Geraldine Brook book when I returned this one to the library. Geraldine makes me feel good about my choice to read an old fashioned book with paper, a hard cover, and a quality binding.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...