Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Quick and Easy Installation of Moen kitchen sink faucet

If I were to instruct others on changing a cartridge of a Moen kitchen faucet I would not use the words quick nor easy.

I would be encouraging but not misleading. While saving money is admirable there is a reason plumbers have an occupation.

I would include information on all the tools that are needed for the task. Screwdrivers,allen wrenches and pliers will be necessary.

I would not include my fear of turning off the water to the entire house by going into the (shudder) dreaded well room in my lower level. I call it the well room because my well is in that room.  The door to the well room is so small I have to lie prone and turn my shoulders sideways to get the upper half of my body in there.

That blue tank behind the pipes is part of the well.  That other stuff in there such as that lamp and blue box have not been seen by human eyes for nigh on 20 years.

I would not include this pressure switch in my sink faucet youtube video. I remember buying this and it seems important so I will keep it. I can distinctly remember a 6 a.m. phone call from my father where I asked, "Square D?" and he said, "Yes, Square D." He was still working at this time so he was up early.

Old toys found in the well room would not be included in the instructions.

Offspring #1's artwork would not be included in my version of a youtube video of the installation of a kitchen sink faucet Moen cartridge but I do like the Gary Larson feel of this piece featuring a person inside a rocket ship whose finger hovers above the ejection seat button . The caption reads "Hey, wonder what this does?" Quality work here for a child but not important to the task at hand.

I would not include what I wear as I crawl into the well room because it is not pertinent.
Most homes have shut off valves under their kitchen sink anyway. My home and the plumbing in my home rank with the unusual. Yes I had to displace 2000 spiders and their homes of web but that is not important. Also my relief that I found zero mice and zero snakes is unimportant.



What is important are the many steps to removing the faucet.

Pictures of each step are important.

The fellow in the video set his parts on the counter.  I set my parts in a cereal bowl where they would  be safe and ready to be reinstalled without problems.

I ended up watching the video 8 times.  I did not notice until the 8th viewing that he said he had to stand on the counter  top to get the leverage needed to pull out the cartridge. If he had included an image of him standing on the counter top I would have noticed sooner. I was confused because he said to stand on the counter top and pull while the Moen instructions warned that the cartridge might come out fast and not to put your head above the cartridge while pulling. I am not a plumber but that sounds physically impossible. I really think he should have stated up front that he had already finished the job successfully before he actually videotaped a reenactment.

In my video I would add the important fact that if you pull too hard and use too many tools you can break that Moen kitchen sink faucet cartridge 1225B. I would add that you might have to run to Menards even though you had everything the instructions said you needed. I would add that emergency plumber phone numbers, new cartridges, new faucets, shut off valves and 3/8 x 1/2 braided supply lines (you need two) are also available. I would add that a week in August is a good month to attempt this home repair for 3 reasons. One, you can get 11% refund at Menards this week. Two, plenty of rain in the rain barrel assists in flushing the toilet for three and a half days. Three, you can filter the water from the dehumidifier to rinse your dishes and ironically drink the water that drips from the sink you tried to stop from dripping. Steve from River City Plumbing says I am a survivalist. He's coming back later at 4:30 to install my new Moen kitchen sink faucet. I saved big money at Menards!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...