Friday, August 25, 2017

Pranked Again?

I admit I can be a gullible person or a skeptical gullible person if that combination is possible. I got an email from someone named Orange Sue on my yahoo account. I do not know anyone named Orange Sue. The email read (I am not making this up, it is cut and paste except for one person's name) 
Hello Susan,

I updated Xxxxxx's Requirement Term to Fall 2017 and he should have GPAS access now.

Please let me know if you have any question or need more assistance.

Regards,

Kate

I looked again. I know a Kate or two but this did not sound like the Kate's I know. I looked three times and saw that this email is a string of 7 emails back and forth but all from people with the email of umn.edu. That is the email address of people who work at the University of Minnesota. I thought it was a prank! Was that wrong? Last year I read a book called Dear Committee Members which I thought was a hilarious book. The book was a series of emails from college profs to other college profs. The sarcasm was as sharp as a newly sharpened knife. The writing style was just like this email. And the closing of regards cracks me up. Regards? Why not Very truly yours or Sincerely or a less formal Thanks and have a great weekend?  Those are the closings I use on my emails.  I should say used to use because now all my professional emails end with Regards, Sue.  Anyway, I guess I was wrong. This wasn't a prank. Surprise! Surprise! Before I knew it wasn't a prank I responded with this (again with the cut and paste):

Hello Orange Sue
I, too, am Orange Sue. But I am not in your field of work and cannot understand the acronyms in your field of work. I am pretty sure this message was not meant for me even though I am Orange Sue and have been Orange Sue since 1953.

In any case, I hope this message was meant for you, the other Orange Sue.

Perhaps we can get coffee sometime? Might be fun!

Sincerely yours (and not ironically),
Orange Sue

The other orange Sue didn't seem to appreciate my friendly response. She ignored me. I do not like to be ignored.  So I sent another email to her and asked if she had ever read Dear Committee Members. She ignored me again! Even though I was busy I forwarded the series of emails to one of my offspring. Darn kids are smarter than me. I am embarrassed sometimes at how much those babies now know better than I ever did (so far). My child reminded me that someone might be in trouble for sharing private data. A light bulb suddenly showed above my head. Maybe this wasn't a prank after all? I see now that if this was a prank it was a very literal prank that no one except a reader of Dear Committee Members would get. My new suspicions were confirmed when I got this email from another unknown employee from the fine university in Minneapolis, Minnesota (where I attended for two years before I transferred to Saint Cloud State University) (again with the cut and paste):
Hello,

On August 14, 2017 you received an email with the subject line “FW: Xxxxxxxxxxxxx into the GPAS system”. Thank you for alerting us that you had received this message. This email was sent in error and we respectfully request you delete the message, and confirm deletion with us.

If you have question regarding this matter, please contact Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Director of Continuity & Compliance, at Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@umn.edu or 867-4309

We appreciate your cooperation.

Regards,

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Business Analyst 2 | Academic Advisem

So now I know I guessed wrong.  This email was not a prank but a strange case of serendipity (one of my all-time favorite words). I am open to suggestions on my next step in this strange turn of events.

Regards,
Orange Sue




No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...