Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Bird Hike and Kayak

Today we drove back to Bon Secour for a guided bird hike. Two Fish and Wildlife Refuge volunteers lead us on our one mile hike. One guide was from Bemidji, MN and the other one was from Michigan. On our hike we heard a blue jay and we saw yellow rumped warblers. That is all. I've been on many bird hikes in my life but this one was the least productive bird hike ever. We still had fun though. After that we drove to Gulf State Park. We rented kayaks and ate our lunch out on lake Shelby. There we saw a slew of coots, several cormorants, brown pelicans, and a great blue heron. When we got close to the coots they would start swimming faster and in a more nervous pattern. Then they would start flapping their wings and running across the top of the water to escape us. We kayaked around bird island and gator island. We kayaked under the oak trees with Spanish moss hanging down. We saw people standing on the pier close to gator island and they stayed there a long time. We kayaked over there hoping to spot a gator. Past the viewing pier was a little canal. We kayaked up as far as we could on that canal. On the way our I saw a head of a little gator in front of me and it disappeared under the water. We saw it one more time before we could not see it anymore. The weather was still foggy so we couldn't see very far. I felt so good being out on top of the water propelling the kayak with my paddle. I had my big hat on and my sun shirt to protect me from the sun. The tops of my feet are a little tanned though.

That is me under the big hat.

Coots

2 comments:

PCRalph said...

Great shot of the heron!

Sue said...

My cousin took the picture. We got really close because the heron had it's back to us and was looking at the shore. I think it was totally surprised when it turned around and saw us. LOL

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...