Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Okefenokee Heritage Center and Southern Forest World Museums

Today was a rainy day in Waycross so I decided to hit the museums. First I went to the Okenfenokee Heritage Museum. They had a small exhibit about Native Americans, black heritage, the musician Gram Parsons, and the Okefenokee train. 

Here is an inside view of the train that used to take passengers from Jacksonville,  Florida to Savannah, Georgia while stopping in Waycross.

I walked into the Hilliard House and looked around imagining life here in the swamp one hundred years ago. After that I walked a short distance to the Southern  Forest World Museum. The woman met me at the desk, took my money, and took me to the exhibit she thought I should see. She talked to me about it for a good twenty minutes before she allowed me to look at the rest of the museum. She told me all about Stuckie, the mummified dog found inside an oak log. Warning: the next picture might upset you.

The museum docent told me that Stuckie got stuck in the tree by bringing up it's hind legs to make the final leap out of the log when the dog's hips got wedged. Because the tree was open at the bottom and the top, the smell of Stuckie was released. Stuckie was a brown and white hound dog who might have been chasing a raccoon. The fact that they named the poor dog Stuckie cracks me up.

2 comments:

PCRalph said...

The train part is cool to me but poor "Stuckie"

Thanks for the gator post car by the way!

Sue said...

You are welcome! LOL

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...