Saturday, January 25, 2020

Pottsburg Creek

On my last full day in Jacksonville I decided I had to go back to the beach. Normally I live in the middle of our wide continent. I don't get to see the ocean that often. The pounding waves have a soothing effect on my nerves. So I drove to the beach and walked barefooted in the sand for a couple of hours. I can walk in the water but the water is cold. I can walk in the firm wet sand but the wet sand is cold. I can walk in the less firm dry sand but that is difficult. I can walk in the tire tracks left by the lifeguard trucks and that is fun to do. After the rain yesterday some of the sand showed where rain had fallen but no one has walked yet. That was my favorite sand to walk in because of the interesting texture.

After lunch I thought I would go kayaking. There is a place called All Wet Water Sports right by my tiny house that rents kayaks at a reasonable price. I rented one for 90 minutes and explored  Pottsburg Creek I paddled upstream past a television tower and under Hodge road - the road I take to my tiny house. I saw only 4 other people using the creek.

When I am kayaking my mind goes slack and I have no worries. Kayaking is good for me. I saw a great blue heron fly right above my head, a great egret catch and swallow a fish, and some other small birds that I could not identify. I didn't see any reptiles but I did see a large fish jump..

Right where I decided to turn around and head back I came upon this unusual plant growing next to the creek. I am not sure but I think those yellow and white uplifting plant parts might be the flowers. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...