Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Biking

This morning we went back to Gulf State Park to take advantage of the free bikes offered by the state park. We had to download an app, sign up with a credit card, take a picture of the QVC code on the bike and voila! The bike unlocks and it's free for us to use for the next 3 hours.Within the 3 hours you can return the bike and take it out again to keep it for six hours. This is a very nice service offered by the Alabama State Parks! We biked from the park headquarters all the way east to the sports complex outside the state park. These bikes had no gears and coaster brakes so they were easy for us to ride. The hills were small and far apart. We biked around Lake Shelby over an oak ridge. We biked near the campgrounds. A long stretch of our bike was on a board walk and that was enough to rattle my teeth. We biked through the RV campground. Each RV campsite has their own septic tank. I saw a few warblers along the way along with a brown thrasher. Some people were walking the trails and others were biking. The sky was overcast so I wore a sleeveless top without worrying about sunburn. We had a good workout. When we finally got back to the park headquarters I was more than glad to be done. My phone said we biked 16.2 miles. I think I would have been happier biking 14 miles. We returned our bikes and drove to Fort Morgan for lunch. We sat on the pier by the boat landing and ate our sandwiches. We watched the brown pelicans, great egrets, great blue heron and cormorants fish while we munched our food. The water at Fort Morgan was calmer than the water by our place so it was a good place to swim. I didn't swim. I prefer my swimming be done in water that is 80 degrees and this water was not anywhere near 80 degrees. I watched the white crabs come and go from their holes in the sand while my companion swam. The fog horn blared repeatedly in the distance. In the evening before it got dark we went for another foggy walk on the beach. As we walked the fog got thicker and thicker making it hard for us to see the boardwalk where we leave the beach and go back to our place. The willets and sanderlings and gulls don't seem to mind the fog.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...