Tuesday, January 28, 2020

West Side of The Okefenokee Swamp

Today I drove down from Waycross, Georgia, to the western edge of the Okefenokee Swamp near the Stephen Foster State Park. I went into the national wildlife refuge first and walked over the dam and along a channel. There was a path to walk on. I could have walked down the hill and along the shore of the channel but I thought it would be safer up her at the top. Turns out I was right. Look at the size of this alligator! Two guys were fishing nearby and said it was a small one. I think it was at least 5 feet long. One of the two guys caught a black bass while I watched. I think that fish was at least four pounds.

As I hiked the long hike back to my car I spotted this unusual hunk of Spanish Moss that was caught at two ends by two branches. I thought it forms a nice swing or even a hammock for a wood sprite.

I drove to the state park to eat my lunch. After that I walked by the boat launch. I looked down into the water and spotted not one not two, not three, not four, but five little gators among the lily pads.

Then I spotted this big alligator in the mowed area next to the canoes and kayaks. Since it was 3 p.m. it was getting too late to rent a kayak anyway. I didn't want to bother this one.

I came upon this cute turtle in the water with the alligators. I am unsure what species of turtle it is.

3 comments:

PCRalph said...

Spanish moss and alligators! You're not in Minnesota anymore! I'm enjoying the virtual tour!

barb said...

Yeh gators! Any armidillos?

Sue said...

The signs said armadillos are there but I did not see any. Sorry to disappoint!

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...