Thursday, January 30, 2020

Fort McAllister State Park

Add caption
Today I left Waycross and drove north and east to New Richmond which is just south of Savannah, Georgia. The drive went well. I chose to take the back roads rather than the quicker route on the freeway. I drove past cotton fields, pecan orchards, and blueberry fields and other fields. I suspect some of them were peanut fields. I see signs for farmers markets but none of the markets are open. I stopped at Fort McAllister State Park. I chose not to visit the Fort which was a separate fee from the state park fee. I am just not very interested in learning about confederate forts at this time in my life. Instead I went for long walk. To get to the nature trail I had to hike the mile long road between the park headquarters and the camp grounds. Only campers can drive their cars down this road. The road goes between a marsh and the Great Ogeechee river. Along the road I came upon a gathering of snowy egrets in the weeds on the river side of the road. I saw a dozen white birds together. Before I could pull my phone to take a picture only three were left and the other nine were flying away with their yellow feet showing. I also saw a tufted titmouse and a belted kingfisher, a great blue heron, many turkey and black vultures and a robin. Once I got to the campground I took the 1.5 mile nature trail. The state of Georgia uses the same signs in their state parks. The sign about a black bear, for example, gives a few facts about the bears and then tells you to go down on all fours and stand up again and then do it 15 times. Yeah, I am not doing that. The sign about frogs suggests you crouch down and leap as high as you can twenty times. The sign about deer suggests you run as fast as you can, touch ten trees, then turn around and do the same thing coming back to the sign. One thing I got to say about Georgia state park signs, they could physically exhaust any kid while on a nature hike.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...