Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Tallahassee Museum


Today I decided to visit the Tallahassee museum. I drove to the side of Tallahassee near the airport past the post office. I paid my fee and entered the museum. Ninety percent of the museum is outside. I took a trail that took me past some old buildings. I saw an old caboose, an old school house, an old church, and an old slaves quarters. I walked down a trail with a few of the trees labelled. Most of the labels were so faded from the sun I was unable to read them. I walked past the wildlife trail. There was a black vulture and bald eagles in a fenced area. I walked past a cougar, some foxes, a bobcat, a skunk, and three red wolves. Was this a museum of a zoo? I walked past a children's playground. Past that was a trail with dinosaurs made out of scrap metal. Later I came to the farm area. I saw some donkeys, a pig, several chickens, a goat, a corn mill, a sugar cane processor, a herb garden, and a vegetable garden including cabbage, turnips, collard greens and rutabaga.I walked past a cypress swamp (see pictures). I walked into a nature center. At the bird feeders I saw a tufted titmouse, a Northern Cardinal, and a Carolina chickadee. I saw some turtles in a pond. A few snakes were in cages. The Tallahassee museum had high ropes and what they called tree to tree adventures. I was not about to walk the high ropes through the cougar enclosure. This museum seemed to have a mixed focus. The 
Tallahassee museum was part zoo, part museum, part nature trail, and part playground. I have seen better museums and better zoos and better nature trails. The cypress swamps along Lake Bradford were great though. If I ever come back to Tallahassee, I would not visit this museum again.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...