Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Tallahassee Museum


Today I decided to visit the Tallahassee museum. I drove to the side of Tallahassee near the airport past the post office. I paid my fee and entered the museum. Ninety percent of the museum is outside. I took a trail that took me past some old buildings. I saw an old caboose, an old school house, an old church, and an old slaves quarters. I walked down a trail with a few of the trees labelled. Most of the labels were so faded from the sun I was unable to read them. I walked past the wildlife trail. There was a black vulture and bald eagles in a fenced area. I walked past a cougar, some foxes, a bobcat, a skunk, and three red wolves. Was this a museum of a zoo? I walked past a children's playground. Past that was a trail with dinosaurs made out of scrap metal. Later I came to the farm area. I saw some donkeys, a pig, several chickens, a goat, a corn mill, a sugar cane processor, a herb garden, and a vegetable garden including cabbage, turnips, collard greens and rutabaga.I walked past a cypress swamp (see pictures). I walked into a nature center. At the bird feeders I saw a tufted titmouse, a Northern Cardinal, and a Carolina chickadee. I saw some turtles in a pond. A few snakes were in cages. The Tallahassee museum had high ropes and what they called tree to tree adventures. I was not about to walk the high ropes through the cougar enclosure. This museum seemed to have a mixed focus. The 
Tallahassee museum was part zoo, part museum, part nature trail, and part playground. I have seen better museums and better zoos and better nature trails. The cypress swamps along Lake Bradford were great though. If I ever come back to Tallahassee, I would not visit this museum again.

No comments:

Time Of The Lotus Bloom

Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...