Monday, January 27, 2020

Laura S. Walker State Park

Today I visited the Laura S. Walker State Park. First I hiked the nature trail where I came upon what I think is a gopher tortoise burrow. There was a sign about gopher tortoise burrows just a foot away. I know those tortoises dig burrows 30 feet long and that other animals use them too. No way was I sticking my hand down there to find a tortoise. Along the trail I read information about bats, bears, deer, copperhead snakes, coral snakes and cottonmouth snakes.  All those snakes are venomous. I have not seen any snakes on this trip yet.

After the nature trail I took another hike down to the lake. This state park has a pedestrian bridge over the southern tip of the lake. As I walked out there I saw a turtle head poking out watching me.

This lake has gators. At the two small swimming beaches there are nets around the swimming area to keep the swimmers safe. On my walk I saw a pileated woodpecker, a red bellied woodpecker, a bluebird and a goldfinch.

Laura S. Walker was a resident of Waycross, Georgia. She was very interested in forestry, history, and roadside beautification. The state park named in her honor is very beautiful. I saw a couple dozen people camping there today. Granted I saw no tents only campers and larger RV's. At night it gets down to around 40 so that would be too cold for me in a tent. I am happy to have a bed tonight in Waycross, Georgia and also WiFi but I did have a good day at the state park.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...