Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Porch Lights

Yesterday I had some extra time so I stopped at the local library in Tallahassee, chose a book off the shelf, sat in a chair in the sunshine by the window and read the whole dang book in one sitting. Porch Lights by Dorothea Benton Frank isn't a great book but it managed to keep my interest for the two hours I sat there. Jackie is the main character. As a nurse serving in Afghanistan, she is called home when her husband dies suddenly in a work related accident. She and her son Charlie struggle with their grief in New York City so they travel to Jackie's island home in South Carolina.  In South Carolina with the support of Charlie's grandparents, Jackie and her son process their grief together. This was a heart warming story about family and about resilience.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...