Sunday, January 26, 2020

Okefenokee Swamp

Today I left Jacksonville and drove north into the state of Georgia. I headed for the Okefenokee swamp to look around. I paid the small fee and got a 7 day pass. I parked by the boat launch and walked a mile long trail along the canal. Just like at the Big Bog state park in northern Minnesota, some guy got the idea of digging a canal to drain the swamp and have rich farmland. Both men failed in their endeavors. I saw a red cockaded woodpecker, a pileated wood pecker, a blue headed vireo (only because some other birders pointed it out to me) and some great white herons. I drove the wildlife drive with my window open. I could hear but not see sand hill cranes calling. Two bald eagles flew overhead. At the end of the drive is a mile and a half boardwalk with a 40 foot tower at the end. Here is the view from the top of the tower of my boardwalk path.

Here is another view from the tower of the swamps. Some of those deeper lakes have alligators in them.

Here is another view from the top of the tower. Such a beautiful day in Georgia!

Here is the last view from the top of the tower showing how much Spanish moss is hanging from the trees right next to the tower.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...