Friday, January 24, 2020

The Hate U Give

I read Angie Thomas' debut novel, The Hate U Give, on my way down south from Minnesota. This is a young adult novel and has been challenged as inappropriate by many. Now it has been made into a movie. This sad tale is about a 16 year old girl, Starr, who witnesses the death of two of her friends. The first friend is killed in a drive by shooting at age ten. The second friend is killed by a police officer after being pulled over for a traffic stop with her in the car. Starr becomes involved in a national news story but she is just a child. Her parents try and protect her as best they can. Life in the neighborhood of Garden Heights is complicated. Starr and her family are between a rock and a hard place. I enjoyed this book even though it was sad and difficult to read. The Hate U Give is one of those books that I feel it is my duty as a US citizen to read.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...