Friday, January 31, 2020

Skidaway and Telfair

As you can see, today is a rainy day in Savannah, Georgia. I drove to Skidaway State Park to walk the nature trail and visit the nature center. The nature center was closed so I walked the trail. Turns out the trail was very soggy. The longer I walked the soggier the trail got until I had to walk on the very edges of the trail to keep my feet somewhat dry. By the time I got back to my car my jeans were wet from the knees down from brushing against the saw palmetto plants next to the trail. I decided to spend the rest of my day inside a museum.

I drove to downtown Savannah to the  Telfair Museum. This museum is actually 3 separate museums in the same neighborhood. Here is a view from the Telfair art museum which is the first art museum in this state.When Mary Telfair passed away in 1875 she willed her house to the Georgia Historical Society to be opened as a museum. Her house was converted to a musuem and here is the view from the second story window.

Here is the sculpture of the famous bird girl. Her image was put on the bestselling novel, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The book was so popular and so many people were coming to the cemetery where the statue stood that it was moved to the Telfair museum for safety reasons. The two bowls she is holding looks like she is weighing good and evil but they're actually designed to hold water in one and bird seed in the other. After that I went to the Jepson Center for the Arts. I arrived at the same time as a school bus full of kids. This was a modern art building. Inside they had an entire floor dedicated to art experiences via computer games. I tried a few. I even tried the virtual reality glasses. On the third floor was a giant statue of Moby Dick. The big whale was surrounded by art regarding whales and whaling ships. After visiting the museums I walked around through Oglethorp square, Telfair square and the surrounding neighborhood full of churches, shops, restaurants, and lawyer offices. Downtown Savannah is very quaint. Much like Pensacola, the sidewalks are very jagged and I have to pay close attention of where I am stepping. Downtown Savannah was very scenic just like I imagined it would be.

2 comments:

PCRalph said...

I remember he famous stature. Good plan to move it somewhere before it was stolen! It has a classic look...eerie but beautiful at the same time.

Sue said...

I thought the statue looked fairly innocent but the connection to the book makes it eerie.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...