Thursday, January 26, 2012

By Nightfall

I read By Nightfall, a novel written by Pulitzer Price winner Michael Cunningham.  He also wrote The Hours.  I wasn't so impressed with this book.  The story is about a married couple who live in Manhattan, Peter and Rebecca.  They are estranged from their daughter who dropped out of college to work at a hotel bar in Boston.  Their lives change when Rebecca's younger brother, Ethan, comes for a visit.  I didn't totally dislike the book.  I did like the free form style of writing and I felt like I really understood where Peter (who tells the story) was coming from as he experienced each moment.  In fact sometimes I was ready to move on to the next experience before Peter was.  I felt the author was stingy in giving us the details to really understand what was going on.  The whole picture didn't really take shape until the last chapter when everything started to make more sense.

No comments:

The Girl With No Name

  Marina Chapman, with the assistance of ghostwriter Lynne Barrett-Lee, is the author of The Girl With No Name; The Incredible True Story Of...