Saturday, January 7, 2012

I'll Fly Away

On Thursday I went to the funeral of a man I have known for over 20 years.  We knew each other professionally.  We weren't close but after being in hundreds of meetings with the same person over the years, you get to know a person.  I liked him.  He was interesting.  He was professional.  He was jolly.  He had a way of making people feel important.  We were both fans of Greg Brown, the folksinger, and sometimes we'd see each at concerts.  This man also was a musician. He wrote songs for his coworkers when they left or had an important birthday.   I attended his retirement party last April and I received a recording of the songs he had written.  I am so sad that he enjoyed less than a year of retirement before he died.  This is one of the songs they played at the funeral and it's been stuck in my head ever since.  Listen to it.  It's a good song for a funeral I think.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Sue, was that Bill R? The really tall blond haired social worker?

Sue said...

Yes, tall, blonde? No, more white or light gray hair. He was a very nice guy to work with. I will miss him.

Sue said...

Yes, tall, blonde? No, more white or light gray hair. He was a very nice guy to work with. I will miss him.

The Girl With No Name

  Marina Chapman, with the assistance of ghostwriter Lynne Barrett-Lee, is the author of The Girl With No Name; The Incredible True Story Of...