Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Year Of Fog

My book club read A Year Of Fog by Michelle Richmond.  I liked it to some degree.  Although it was a page turner, I wouldn't put it in the top fifty books I have read.  The plot involves a young child, walking with her Dad's fiancee on the beach in the fog, disappears.  The book focuses on the aftermath.  The fiancee, of course, feels totally guilty even though she did nothing wrong.  The wedding is called off. The father gives up trying to find his daughter.  The fiancee does not give up.  Some parts of the book were totally believable and others were not.  Because our novel was thoroughly researched by our discussion leader, we learned that another chapter, an ending chapter that was cut from the book, is available from the author for only $1.99.  Seriously?  A chapter you edited out (for no doubt a good reason) you think I will buy?  The author also offers an on-line writing course for $99.00.  Self promotion can be a good thing but I don't think I would buy the writing course unless I thought the author was capable of writing a book in my top 50 list.

No comments:

The Girl With No Name

  Marina Chapman, with the assistance of ghostwriter Lynne Barrett-Lee, is the author of The Girl With No Name; The Incredible True Story Of...