Monday, January 9, 2012

Full Wolf Moon

Who noticed the full moon last night?  It was awesome.  As I pulled my trash can to the street Sunday evening, the full wolf moon lit the way and cast long shadows over my path.  When I woke up during the night (the first time in a week that I haven't been under the Nyquil influence) the moon lit up my bedroom from both windows.  And this morning as I drove to work the full moon hung large and round in the air and was seen through the bare tree branches.  The moon was so big it almost looked like a harvest moon. It was simply beautiful.  The full moon in January is known as the wolf moon.  And when the wolf moon appeared, the Department of Natural Resources announces there may be a limited hunting season on wolves in 2012.  I don't know how I feel about that.  Wolf hunting is a "trophy" hunt meaning hunters don't kill wolves to eat them or use their pelt to make coats.  Wolves have a bad rap.  They're characterized as big and bad in books.  Is it because wolves are at the top of the food chain that we are so bothered by them?  Apex predators have an important place in our delicate ecosystem.  The value of wolves has been well documented in Yellowstone National Park where we have seen them exterminated and brought back again.  To hear a howl of a wolf can be a hair raising experience.  If I ever have progeny beyond my two offspring, I want them to be able to hear and appreciate the cry of a wolf.  I doubt a little hunting will hurt the wolf population in our state.  I hope those who do apply to  hunt wolves and get permits, hunt responsibly and that they appreciate the animal who's life they are taking.

No comments:

The Girl With No Name

  Marina Chapman, with the assistance of ghostwriter Lynne Barrett-Lee, is the author of The Girl With No Name; The Incredible True Story Of...