Saturday, January 21, 2012

Winter Bird Hike


Golden Eye Duck

I did the winter bird hike and it wasn't nearly as bad as it seemed last night.  I was probably just tired and cold and irritable.  I prepared for the hike by getting up early, swimming laps, sitting for 10 minutes in the hot steam room and warming up my core.  I wore 18 items of clothing which was more than anyone else there.  I was warm but unbendable and inflexible.  I walked a little bit like Frankenstein.  Warm is good though because it was cold out.  Ice formed on my eyelashes.  When we were out in the open along the Mississippi River and looking into the wind, my eyes watered.  The first bird we saw was a red tail hawk sitting  high in a tree trying to mind it's own predatory business while three crows kept flying at it and calling loudly, trying to force it to fly away.  There is open water beneath the dam and in that frosty water swam mallards, Canadian Geese, Golden Eyes, and common mergansers.  On an ice island not far from the river edge we could see the footprints where mink crossed the snow.   We also saw downy woodpecker, black capped chickadee, blue jays, and bald eagles.  We saw a total of 5 bald eagles flying up and down the river.  One eagle sat on the edge of the river ice eating something, possible fish guts left by an otter or mink.  The ducks get very nervous when an eagle flies by.  We got a great, long look at a group of 7 American tree sparrows.  And last, but not least, we saw white breasted nuthatch and a hairy woodpecker (which I can hardly type with a straight face anymore now that Offspring #1 has made me aware how dirty that bird name is). We saw a total of 16 species.  We walked a long way.  We started at the building on the Coon Rapids side, walked on the dam and back, and then walked down and around the trout pond.  This is a long way for me. On the way back the leader suggested tramping through a swamp to look at the bird feeders at some of the houses on the ridge.  He was hoping to see a pileated woodpecker.  I declined that extra trudging because my Frankenstein legs were aching so I walked back along the road.  I hoped to see a Northern shrike.  Although I didn't get to see one, I now know where in that park they usually hang out and that is helpful.  I'm glad I went out today. The woods were pretty.  The sun made the snow sparkle and it squeaked beneath our feet.  Even a cold winter day can be nice if you are dressed for it.

No comments:

The Girl With No Name

  Marina Chapman, with the assistance of ghostwriter Lynne Barrett-Lee, is the author of The Girl With No Name; The Incredible True Story Of...