Monday, January 23, 2012

My First Car

I've been reminiscing about the old days when I got my first car because a young relative of mine just got his driver's licence.  He had a bit of a struggle getting the license and with that I could relate.  The thing was my parents kept putting up road blocks (pun intended) to me getting a car.  I kept mistaking the roadblocks for stepping stones.  Looking back, I admire the young me for her perseverance and dedication and single minded determination to get a car.  I first wanted a car at 16.  Wanted isn't a strong enough word, I was chomping at the bit to get a car. I didn't have a driver's license and wasn't allowed to get a license until I had a car to take the test.  Road block #1.  Buy a car.  And I wasn't allowed to borrow any money.  And the car had to be worth at least $1500 (which was way more money in the 70's than it is now).  And I had to have several hundred more in cash for the incidentals (insurance and other unnamed expenses).  I saved the money in a couple years of working at a local nursing home.  So I had the money.  And I picked out the car.  It was a 1968 red Ford Mustang with black interior.  My girlfriend and I found it in the paper and went to look at it.  We talked to the owner.  The price was right.  The car was gorgeous, all candy apple red and shiny.  I could picture myself driving to high school sitting on that black bucket seat.   No more yellow school bus for me.  No more trips around Lake Owasso on the way to school.   And my Mustang (for in my mind, it was already my Mustang) was close - just a couple miles away on Larpenteur and Marion.  I was almost there!  My parent had to approve.  I was surprised by the instant and total disapproval of my pretty red Mustang.  What?  Where did this new roadblock come from?  Why?  "Too much power for you."  Too much power?  It wasn't a rocket, only a car.  It has brakes.  Who's money was buying it anyway?  Now suddenly the parent was more interested in helping me find a car.  And he found one-a 1968 blue Rambler American.  It had low mileage and was in good condition and (with a chronic dysfunctional choke) never had too much power.  In fact, I could barely make it up some hills.  I had to get some speed up before the hill or I would never make it to the top.  I, being so determined and desperate to have a car, wasn't that upset about the Mustang anymore.  My American had a jaunty tilt to it with the front end higher than the rear end, as if it would take off into the sky.  I had a car.   I had A CAR!   Time for roadblock #2.  Now I could take the driving test.  I drove my car to the testing station in Arden Hills.  I failed to pass the test.  I had not foreseen another roadblock such as this (i.e. not from a parent).  I drove my car home and parked it in the driveway.  My head hung low and my shoulders slumped.  Now walking to work really burned my fuse.  I had a car.  It was insured.  And I couldn't drive it. I could look at it as I walked  home.  I was so frustrated for those few weeks before I could take the test again.  Every night when I walked into my yard after work or after school I would narrow my eyes and almost growl out loud.  I think I felt feelings stronger as a teenager than I do now.  Here I was, riding the school bus and walking again, when I could have been driving home in MY CAR if only I had passed that test.  I took the test again and I passed with a 96% score.  Warning:  mood change!  I was on cloud nine.  I could drive on my own!  I felt terrific.  I felt so happy I couldn't hardly stand it.  I didn't have too much time to celebrate because I had to be to work in a very short time.  I dropped off my parent and drove to work feeling an intense level of  happiness I had never felt before and have never felt again.  My job was only 3 minutes away from my home but I will always remember that first time I drove by myself.  Some people look forward to going to heaven.  I believe I've been to heaven the first time I drove my car by myself.  I will never forget that 1.5 mile trip.  It will be a sad day when my offspring take my driving license away from me.  I don't think I'll give it up voluntarily.

2 comments:

Cajo said...

But who will drive me if I take your license away? ;)

Sue said...

LOL! That would be ironic, taking your own wheels away.

The Girl With No Name

  Marina Chapman, with the assistance of ghostwriter Lynne Barrett-Lee, is the author of The Girl With No Name; The Incredible True Story Of...