Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cherokee Purple


A friend of mine from work gave me an heirloom tomato plant. This variety is called Cherokee Purple. Just reading the name puts an old Paul Revere and the Raiders song in my head-"Cherokee People, Cherokee Tribe, so proud to live, so proud to die." In any case, the meat on this tomato will be purple. So I went outside with my hoe to plant one tomato. The air was completely still - not a breath of a breeze. Prince, my indigo bunting, was serenading me. My hoe dug into rich, moist soil, disturbing the little weed sprouts just emerging. Before I knew it, an hour had gone by and I had weeded the entire vegetable garden. Well, almost all the garden. I skipped the bok choy rows because I can't quite tell where they are yet. I hilled up the potatoes that were up. Gardening; it can be such mindless and relaxing work for me.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...