Friday, June 12, 2009

New Chicken Behavior


My chickens are now 10 or 11 weeks old. This week I'm seeing some new and disturbing chicken behavior. Dwight is getting randy. He's trying to jump on Pamela and Kelly and they do not like it. They squawk and holler bloody murder. He's all, "Let me jump up on your back and see what happens." And Kelly and Pam are all, "Get off me you big lug, you're killing me." He gets in these moods first thing in the morning and again in the late afternoon. Maybe he's like this morning, noon and night. I don't know; I'm at work during the day. What I do know is when Dwight is feeling randy, nobody is happy. Everyone is nervous. Kelly and Pamela try to keep away from him. Meredith, true to her "Office" television personality, gets sexually aggressive back at him. Angela and Phyllis stay out of his way but don't act as frightened as Kelly and Pamela. Dwight's comb is so red it practically glows in the dark and he holds his tail feathers very erect. I an new at this. I have watched chickens but never this closely. I was out there this morning at 6 a.m. saying, "Dwight, give it a rest. Think about something else for a change." My goal is to have eggs to eat. Dwight needs to realize he's expendable. He eats chicken food and drinks the water, but what does he have to offer in exchange? Let me know if you are hungry for a chicken dinner.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...