Monday, June 8, 2009

S'Up?


This time of year I get so excited to walk out to the garden and see what is up. Every year I buy the seed expecting they will sprout in the rows I planted. I am pretty sure this will happen. But when I go out there and see the rows of green sprouts, I get so excited. Seeds sprouting is like a little miracle for me. Maybe my excitement stems from the delay of the gratification. I planted some of these a month ago and others a couple weeks ago. I enjoy the harvest but the sprouting is more of a thrill. So far some of my potatoes (yellow, red and blue) are up. Green beans are up. Lettuce is up. Some pumpkins are up. Some sunflowers are up. Carrots are not up and bok choy is not up. My jalapeno plant is thriving. A cutworm got one of my Big Boy tomatoes but the other 5 are holding their own. I bought some deer netting at Lowe's yesterday but haven't put it on yet because IT IS SO COLD OUTSIDE! What is up with this weather? Why do I have to run the furnace in June when it's the second warmest month of the year? I am definitely moving to a warmer climate when I retire; this is craziness. I like that we got an inch of rain but I don't like the cold temperatures.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...