Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Drifts of Cottonwood Seeds


Is it just me or are the cottonwoods producing more seed this year than other years? Driving home, I see cottonwood puffs coming down as thick as snow. Cottonwood flies through the air, into my car window, and up my nostrils causing me to sneeze. It's never good to sneeze when driving. I can't help but shut my eyes when I sneeze and that is not safe when you are navigating a vehicle. Piles of cottonwood seeds line the road and grass edges. My mother-in-law once told me that she disliked the look of cottonwood seed along her sidewalk so she got rid of it by lighting it with a match and watching the fire quickly zip up the sidewalk. She said cottonwood was very flammable. At the time, I wasn't happy with her saying this in front of my kids, knowing some kids go through a pyromaniac stage. At the same time, I was curious to try it. I don't have any cottonwoods in my yard so I have never had the chance to give her cottonwood removal system a try.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...