Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Farewell Summer


My book club discussed "Farewell Summer" by Ray Bradbury last night. This is a sequel to "Dandelion Wine" which I have also read. The book is poetic and almost magical in describing a young boy's summer in a small town. Bradbury says this book is semi autobiographical. The setting is Waukegan, Illinois in the 1920's. Strangely enough, I have spent a weekend in Waukegan five years ago to watch Offspring #1 graduate from Navy bootcamp. The Waukegan described in this book differs greatly from the Waukegan I visited but Bradbury conveys the neighborly feel in a vivid fashion. The young boys in the town and the old men of the town start a war; not a real war but a war nonetheless. Each section of the book is labeled after an important Civil War battle. In the end, the war is resolved. The book ends in a very manly fashion, causing many book club members to titter and joke. Evidently this is the second book of a trilogy and I am anxious to read the third in the series titled "Something Wicked This Way Comes." I've already read "Fahrenheit 451" and "The Illustrated Man." Someday I'll get to "The Martian Chronicles."

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...