Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wildlife In The Garden

There is a super pesky chipmunk that has been coming up on the deck and eating the life over canary food I put out for the birds. And he's not shy. I get up to scare him. Yelling through the screen door isn't enough. Coming out onto the deck isn't enough. You have to reach for him to make him move and even then he'll go down about 4 steps before turning around to look at me. So I have to start coming down the steps and he'll go to the concrete pad at the bottom of the deck steps and wait for me there. He's lazy. He doesn't want to run away any farther than he has to because he knows he's coming right back. I usually have to chase him 5 times before he gives up. Besides the chipmunk, I have deer but they've been good this year about staying out of the garden. The pocket gopher who makes my mowed area look like a minefield has finally tasted the poison I put out for him because there haven't been any new piles of sand lately. I have red and gray squirrels in my yard but since it's warmer out, they've been leaving my bird food alone. I have lots of rabbits but they've been staying out of the garden too. I haven't seen any raccoon, woodchucks or possum this year yet. Here is a photo of another creature watching me work in my garden.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...