Monday, June 15, 2009

Ruby Throated Hummingbirds

This year I've had great luck feeding hummingbirds. I planted red salvia and red petunias in my deck planters. Those plants attracted the hummingbirds. Then I hung a tiny hummingbird feeder in the planter. I've had hummingbirds feeding every day for over a month now. At first we had only females. Now we have males and females. They're not shy. The hummingbirds will eat from the feeder when I'm standing close enough to touch them. When they've had enough and a couple bubbles come up in the feeder like the bubbles in a baby's bottle of formula, the hummers zip away lickety split. They fly full throttle through the tree branches. Today I was reading a BBC article about Anna's hummingbirds. These hummingbirds can fly faster, considering their body size, than jet planes. They fly faster than the space shuttle when it reenters the atmosphere. You can see the article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8091944.stm
I suspect who ever thought up the idea of the fighter planes going through the trenches in the Star Wars movies must have been a hummingbird observer.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...