Saturday, June 20, 2009

Patriot Ride


Once again I tried something outside my comfort zone. Things went well. I rode in the Patriot Ride. The benefits of this motorcycle ride benefit the Patriot Guard and the Minnesota Military Appreciation Fund. Offspring #2 got some appreciation (money) from the military appreciation fund because he served in a war zone and because he got a purple heart. So I'm glad to give back to that organization. Over 9,000 motorcycles rode together from Fatboys restaurant in East Bethel to Orrock and back again. Before we left, two Blackhawk helicopters flew over us. They circled around and then hovered 40 feet above the ground like giant hummingbirds. I saw them facing to the side. Then the Blackhawks turned and faced me. Ok, that was a little intimidating. The helicopters turned to the side again before heading east. I was nervous. I had never been on an organized ride before. And I wasn't near my friends because with all the motorcycles parked, it was impossible to get near them. Plus people were standing around with beers and drinks in their hands and it wasn't even noon yet. I hoped the people drinking alcohol wouldn't be riding near me. I was relieved to see that most people drank water. We took off. The rules were to stay two seconds behind the person ahead of you and one second behind the person in the other half of the lane. We took the back roads through Isanti and Sherburne counties. Each stop sign had law enforcement stopping traffic so we didn't have to stop. We went on quiet and curvy country roads past marvelous scenery. I would guess that 85% of the bikes were Harley Davidsons. I saw 2 other Suzukis but none as small as mine. Traffic would slow down at intersections and then people would take off fast to catch up. I did the same. I would kick it down to second gear to take the corner and then go full throttle to catch up. The people around me would zoom ahead. I felt like I was in slow motion. I know it's hard to get up speed when you're in a higher gear but I was in second. I think the size of my engine is why it was hard for me to speed up as quickly as they did. As soon as I'd get it into fifth gear I would see brake lights ahead of me and it was time to slow down again. We stopped in Orrock where I met up with my friends and enjoyed watching the other 9,000 motorcycles come in and go out again. I had to run to Elk River for a high school graduation party so I didn't complete the entire ride back to Fatboys. I enjoyed riding in such a big group. I felt safe being surrounded by a large number of motorcycles.

1 comment:

Cajo said...

Um... Offspring #2 is not in the military. I should know. I'm Offspring #2.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...