Saturday, June 27, 2009

Fairy Garden


I learned about fairy gardens from a friend of mine at work. She made one. She's also made an angel garden and a wildlife garden. Fairy gardens are miniature gardens that are sometimes constructed in a low round pot. I thought it would be fun to make a hobbit garden. Hobbits love to garden. Hobbits like to sit outside their little houses with round doors and smoke their little hobbit pipes. I bought a round pot and some little plants and was thinking about hobbit gardens when I came upon a class in fairy gardens put on by the Minnesota Horticultural Society. I signed up for the class and you can see the results in the above photo. My fairy garden has a little copper arbor with a stone path going under it, a fairy street light made out of some wire and a prism, a little tree with moss growing below it, pixie ivy, some landscape boulders, a fairy gazing ball (see it in blue), and a little fairy bird bath made out of a tiny sea shell. I covered the soilless soil with bark mulch and sprinkled some gold dust over the top to add that fairy sparkle. This garden can go outside but must be taken in during rains as there is no drainage in this pot and everything would flood away. The soilless soil really holds water so it only needs water once or twice a month. Our instructor said it will survive in full sun or partial sun. I haven't finished my hobbit garden yet but when I do I'll be sure to post a picture.

1 comment:

GartenGrl said...

How fun! I bet your hobbit garden will be just as fun.
GartenGrl at Planning Plants to Plant

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...