Sunday, June 7, 2009

Distraction From Chores Or What Sang In The Walnut Tree?


This morning I put clean sheets on my bed. As I worked, I heard a bird singing. Since I learned what a red-eyed vireo sounds like, I thought I would figure out this bird. I heard a "chee-chee chee-chee" with an occasional shrill "Wheeeet" thrown in there. I looked out my bedroom window to the north and searched for the bird that sounded so close. There, in the branches of the black walnut tree, I saw a bird. Lucky for me, the walnut tree hasn't completely leafed out yet. I saw a yellow tummy. Was it a cedar waxwing? It looked about the size of a waxwing. I saw a gray back like a waxwing. Then I saw cinnamon colored wings and tail. That couldn't be a waxwing. The bird pirouetted on the branch and I saw a crest on the head and some white wing bars. Could it be a great crested flycatcher? I ran out to the garage where my bird field guide sat in my car and looked it up. Sure enough, it was a great crested flycatcher. Yeah for me. Maybe it will eat all the mosquitoes and dangly legged wasps for me.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...