Sunday, June 28, 2009

White Mischief


I decided to rent the movie, "White Mischief" from the library for several reasons. A movie about Kenya is always interesting and the movie involved the British colonist Delamere. I had lunch at a cafe where the Delamere family used to eat when I was near Lake Navasha. I heard their relatives still lived in the area and one (Cholmondeley) was being charged with murder. When I was in Kenya, he hadn't been tried yet but I read recently that he was found guilty. So this movie, made in 1988, was set in the year 1941. The group of British colonists are living in Kenya at the beginning of World War II and they are living the high life. In the first few minutes, I see a young Hugh Grant and my heart beats faster but he's only in the very beginning. These British people engage in outrageous and decadent behavior. They drink too much, take drugs, sleep around, swap partners while treating the Kenyan people like savages. But who really are the savages? All proper social boundaries seem to have disappeared while they are living in Africa. I was very disturbed by what I saw in this film and what is even more disturbing is that the film is based on the true story of the murder of Lord Errol. If you want to enjoy a pleasant movie, this isn't one for you. If you want a though provoking movie that will stay in your mind for days - you might like White Mischief.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...