Thursday, June 11, 2009

We Made Eye Contact



I left work today a few minutes late. I pulled onto 89th Avenue heading west. As I drew up to the other driveway from the parking lot of my building, I saw a car approaching the driveway. I was on 89th. I had the right of way. The other car was pulling up to the stop sign. I saw her. She saw me. I'm wearing a dorky orange vest over my leather coat. We made eye contact!! She rolled her brown SUV through the stop sign and pulled out right in front of me. If I hadn't slammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop, my head would have made contact with her side window. My back tire squealed against the pavement and I made a skid mark on the road. My back tire locked up and pulled to the right a little so I was slightly sideways in the lane. I kept control, downshifted, and continued to the west while she went east. I'm lucky I didn't recognize her or I would be harboring resentments. She must have been in a big hurry to risk an accident. I am fine and she is fine. I do, however, owe another dollar to my swearing fund. I started fining myself for swearing before Easter. When I pay this dollar, I'll have a total of five dollars. I'm swearing for bigger reasons now.


On another note, here is a picture of a life and death struggle between a mountain lion and a big horned sheep. These pictures were posted by a wildlife biologist at this website: http://anglerinsider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=237162
Warning - fascinating yet horrifying photos ahead.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...