Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Deer Proofing


I've done several things this year in my quest to keep the deer out of the garden. I've focused more on root crops this year like potatoes and carrots. I have talked to the deer. I asserted my wishes. I said, out loud, "This area, in here (gesturing into the fence) is for people, not deer." And just last weekend, when the sunflowers were up and looking the size when the deer are tempted to chew off the tender tops and leave me a row of green sticks, I covered them with deer netting. See the netting in the photo above? You can get 50 feet of this netting for only $5 at Lowe's. I got two rolls. One roll covered the pumpkins and sunflowers. The other roll covers the carrots, bok choy, green beans and lettuce. As I was unrolling the netting and staking it down, I get the feeling I'm being watched. I look up and see a deer staring at me. "You!," I say in an accusatory tone, "You are the reason I bought this stuff!"

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...