Friday, October 2, 2009

Chickens Went To Bed

The chickens must have felt cold tonight. I usually put them to bed about sunset. When I went out at 7 p.m., they weren't perched on top of the coop like they usually are. Normally they're all sitting on the peak of the roof. They see me coming but they don't move. Chickens get groggy and slightly stupid when the sun goes down. I tell them, "Time for bed, " but they don't move. I walk up to them and pet the feathers on the hens. They still don't move. I shove Dwight and/or Angela (the roosters) off the roof. They flutter to the ground with a squack. Once the hens see the roosters have gone down, they decide to stir. I wait for them to walk around a little bit and decide which way to fly down. Angela will take advantage of the hens at this time and mount them. Dwight gets upset and chases Angela. Eventually they all make it into the pen and I say "Good night," and shut the door. Tonight was different. No chickens were perched on the roof of the coop. They were all huddled together inside already. All I had to do was say good night and shut the door. And I threw an old, peeled banana in their run so they could have a fruity snack in the morning.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...