Friday, October 16, 2009

If Only







I had a discussion this week with a friend of mine who proposed the world would be a better place if only we could program our dreams. He thought there would be fewer wars and less conflict if we could decide for ourselves what we dreamed about at night. Just think, what would you dream about? Remember the "Holodeck" from Star Trek? Don't you just think you could be more tolerant during the day if you knew you could plan your escape when you went to bed at night? If you could program your own dreams, what would you want to dream the first night? Would you reunite with family that have died and you miss terribly? Would you have dinner with friends that have passed on? Would you dream about being trapped on a tropical island with, oh, who knows who you would want to be with on a tropical island. No one specific comes to my mind. Would you want to be present at a significant event in history? Would you want to reenact an event from the previous day now that you have the witty comeback that you couldn't think of earlier? I know that I would start out programming my dreams about loved ones who have passed on.
I'd spend a couple months with a sibling, then both sets of grandparents, and then aunts and uncles and finally a good friend. Then, after all that catching up, I would expand into other areas because I'd know I could always go back to my loved ones when I felt a need. So yeah, a night or two on a tropical island. Maybe a dinner with Teddy Roosevelt, Aldo Leopold, Margaret Sanger, and Amelia Earhart. I think it'd be fun to watch Queen Elizabeth get crowned. I've always wanted to feel an earthquake but I think it'd be cool to see a volcano too. I could travel the globe. I might spend time with a younger Osama Bin Laden just to see where things went wrong with him. I might spend a week or so in the Galapagos Islands with Charles Darwin. I could even go back in time and play with my two year old self. I totally agree that the world would be a better place if we could program our own dreams. What would you want to dream about? Comment please!

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I woule like to dream about my family never having to struggle with addictions, health, wealth or independance. Of course I would love to spend time with my loved ones who have died. That would be so awesome to find out what it's like in heaven. I know what the bible tells us it's like but they would know first hand and not something that has been passed down over time. Maybe something got left out that we don't know about.........I would dream about being able to bring peace to the whole world. I'd love to have Elvis sing to me! :)

Sue said...

All great ideas. I'd like Elvis to sing to me too.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...