Monday, October 12, 2009

A Thousand Splendid Suns


Gee whiz, this was a good book. I hated for it to end. I've been listening to it on CD in my car for the past couple weeks and today I knew I was on the last disk. I knew the story would end on my ride home tonight. Khaled Hosseini, who also wrote "The Kite Runner" does and excellent job describing life for women in Kabul, Afghanistan. He writes about life before the Russians invade and how women's lives improved during the invasion. Girls could go to school. Women could hold jobs and make a living. When the Russians pulled out, life got hard for women again. He writes about what it is like to have a husband talk you into wearing a burqa, for your own good of course. He writes how things look without peripheral vision and looking through a screen. He writes what it is like to walk in a burqa with the ends reaching the ground and causing you to trip. This guy is an artist with his words because I could just picture what it would be like to wear one of those crippling garments. Times were really bad for women and I questioned whether I could live through times as bad as these. I don't know if I would have the strength to keep on trying. I think the women in Khaled's story survive because they are the type of women to find joy and pleasure in everyday situations and who think positively. They are my heroes. You really got to find the time to read this book - it's that good.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...