Saturday, October 3, 2009

Role Model or Horrible Example?


Have you ever heard the saying, "You can either be a good role model or a horrible example?" I've been thinking about that today. Someone I know and care about made, in my opinion, a mistake and I've been feeling sorry for their mistake. On the other hand, making a huge mistake can be a good way to allow others to learn from your example. I've never forgotten to wear underwear since that night Lindsay Lohan was photographed getting out of a car. I don't turn on a light switch if I think I smell natural gas. I've never sent anyone to look in files at the Watergate Hotel. As the oldest kid, oh, that reminds me, how many readers out there are the oldest kid in their family? Raise your hands. OK, put your hand down now. It's not easy being the oldest kid because, say it with me you oldest kids, "You have to be a good example." Structuring the destiny of all your siblings can be a huge burden. WAY too late, I realize a horrible mistake can be a good/educational example. If I had known then what I know now, would my life be different or would I have made the same decisions? Having an option would have been nice.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...